Friday, September 5, 2014

Blog Beginnings


Blog Beginnings
            Looking around my room, I realize how much I take for granted in my life here in Gillette. My cat, my swivel chairs, my spacious desk where I have spent so many hours pouring over schoolwork, my closet with numerous changes of clothes, my queen size bed, and of course my high-speed internet connecting me at all times to social media and the rest of the world are all common items that I know will become coveted luxuries during my next three months in Central and South America. Living out of 5000 cubic inches of personal space (my backpack) for 3 months will make me
appreciate the things I do have, and prioritize the things that are most important.
The Omnipresent cat and my gear
            Perhaps the most difficult thing about leaving for 3 months is the fact that I will be leaving my friends and family as well. One thing that I have found to be the most important aspect of life is having strong social bonds, and taking time to spend time with friends. I am extremely lucky to say I have some of the greatest friends, and I wouldn’t hesitate to compare my friendship to that shared between Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. But, I tarry. For those of you whom this paragraph is dedicated to, I hope you enjoy your year, and I look forward to seeing you all again during Christmas time!
            One thing I am curious about is how much my perspectives will change during the course of the next 3 months. I am no stranger to travel, as I have spent many of my years being home-schooled, and much of that time visiting locations around the world. However, the longest span I have ever spent outside of my country is one month, and I remember how foreign and unfamiliar America seemed by the time I returned! After having spent a month in the vastly different landscape and culture of Vietnam and Cambodia, I remember feeling more and more detached from the tame and relatively measured existence in Gillette. I know this sensation will become all the more apparent as I spend 3 months becoming accustomed to life in Latin America.
            With the countdown to departure growing ever shorter, it seems almost surreal that in only 10 days I will be in Costa Rica. I intend to travel with a purpose, perform meaningful service, and make lasting connections.  I am excited to meet the peers that I will be traveling with over the next three months and embark upon my journey! Furthermore, I would like to mention that I welcome any comments on my blog, so feel free to post your thoughts! 

The Family!

1 comment:

  1. Dag, you're getting your check list whittled down,... paperwork, airline tickets, passport renewal, staging of clothing & gear & setting up this cool travel BLOG. Within days, you'll pack it all up and give the traditional "Eyiyiyiyiyi" as you leave home to begin your GAP year experience. Congratulations on all you've done to prepare. Very exciting times! Check your duffel to be sure Floppsy isn't 'stowing away'... Next year at this time, you'll have a year of travel, service and experience under your belt as you focus your attentions on studies at Babson. Dad & I are very proud of you!!! Carpe Diem indeed!

    ReplyDelete