Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Chiang Mai to Laos!

            Well, where was I when I left you last? Chiang Mai I believe. Since then I have had an intrinsic exploration at a Buddhist retreat, where I meditated for over 4 hours a day; I received a clear mind and a sore bum from that experience. Really, I never expected I would be the kind to be capable of meditation, as I have a general urge to move and be constantly doing something. However, taking the time to sit, and have directed thought was much needed, and quite helpful. After which, we continued on from Chiang Mai to Laos, which involved a long van ride through gorgeous countryside dotted with rice fields. I only wish the van had stopped at a few points along the way so I could have snapped some pictures of the idyllic countryside. In Laos we took another van to Luang Nam Tha, where we stayed the night, recuperated, and prepared for a 3 day trekking trip the following day.
            My trek was provided through Green Discovery, and was led by an interesting man named Thon, who was a Monk for 12 years before becoming a wilderness guide. He has a 5-year-old boy, and when I asked him whether he wishes his son to become a Monk as well, he replied, “I’m not sure” with a chuckle. I suppose he was weighing all the years of sore-bumedness from meditation that his son would have to endure, against the clarity of mind he would receive. 
            The Trek itself was perhaps one of the most incredible sections of the trip thus far. Hiking through dense Laotian Jungle, eating lunch on Banana leaves, stepping over 8 inch-long centipedes, and then bursting from the jungle into the occasional rice field made for an incredible experience of rural Laos. For the first two nights we stayed in indigenous villages, where we stayed in a relatively large, thatch-roofed hut by the Nam Tha River. Pigs, chickens, dogs, and equally-naked children ran between the huts and along the river bank. In fact, for one of our river crossings, two little boys manned the canoe across the river, giving not the slightest care of the fact that they wore not a stitch of clothing.
            The second night of the trip, two of my companions and I were sitting around a campfire with some of the locals, when 3 boys came up carrying harpoons and gesturing for me to follow. Curious, and somewhat surprised, we followed them for a 10-minute walk through the jungle and along the riverbank, where we stopped and they promptly built a bonfire of leaves, sticks, and bamboo. After this, they promptly stripped to their underwear, donned masks, grabbed their flashlights and harpoons, and stepped into the water. You might think that this isn’t such a difficult task, considering it is Laos, and you are all doubtlessly imagining an unbearably hot and humid jungle-atmosphere. This is not the case at night, and the river is quite cold, so I was amazed at the chutzpa these kids had. I would have been shivering and freezing in the first minute… 20 minutes later the boys returned, carrying a small fish in one of their bags. We hurried back to the fire, stoked up the flames, and stuffed the fish into the coals. 5 minutes later we were passing around a fresh caught fish, each of us taking a small piece.
            The final day of the trek we spent kayaking down the Nam Tha River. I once again had to figure out how to use a two-person inflatable kayak without simply spinning down the river in circles. That was all I managed to do with my companion, Alex, on one of our kayaking trips in Tena, Ecuador.. However, my Harvard-bound companion, Oliver, and I managed to figure it out after several minutes, and we were soon gliding in a straight line down the river. Trust me, it is far more difficult than it looks.. Ultimate lesson: never underestimate the capabilities of a Babson and Harvard bound team when they put their minds together. ;)

            I am currently on a boat gliding down the Mekong River. We have two days travelling down the Mekong River until we reach Luang Prabang, where we will stay 2 days before flying to Vietnam. I am quite excited for Vietnam, because many of the places I will visit will be somewhat familiar territory, and places I once visited with my family. I’m listening, of course, to music. This time, to Elton John, and some of his songs remind me of home and my friends, so I’d like to shout-out to them. The time difference makes it much harder to talk or message at the same time, but I still think of you all the time. Hope all is well! Till next time my friends, family, and readers!

(This post was written a couple days ago, I rented a bike and have been Cafe hopping in Luang Prabang trying to find WiFi fast enough to post this. I just ended up at Joma Bakery and Cafe, but still the WiFi is extremely slow, and it took me 10 minutes to upload this one photo. Unless I find faster WiFi here in Luang Prabang, the pictures will have to wait till I arrive in Hanoi, Vietnam! Also, an incredible coincidence, sitting here in Joma Cafe, Elton John's song "Tiny Dancer" just came on! And I was just writing about listening to this song 3 days ago...)
Attaining a clear mind, and a sore bum
Peace, guys, peace.
One of the villages during the Trek
One pig, two pig, 3 pig. . . Eight!
One of the Canoe crossings
The boys about to start fishing!
Cooking a fish in the Bonfire (took me a while to get this perfect fire pic) ;)
Looking down on the Mekong 
Country cows
Passing around the fresh fish!
Boating down the Mekong River to Luang Prabang

4 comments:

  1. Dag, I enjoyed this blog entry very much, and as I am in Florida, read it out loud to Grammy & Boppa. They loved it, and especially loved your fantastic photos!! Looks like you are using features on your new camera, & they are turning out really stunning! Of course it helps that you are traveling through beautiful countries. I have helped Gramarny to enable her to write a "comment", by signing on with her Google account last week. Later today, I will help Grammy to sign on with her Google account....so with some luck, you may have a few more comments from your grandmothers. As I write this I know you are now in Sapa, Vietnam , where you were a few years ago with the family. Wonderful! You are now traveling along some more familiar territory. Keep up the meditation, I think it is helpful, useful and meaningful... For a Globe-trotting young man! Love and Hugs, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dag from Florida to Vietnam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you helped them get an account. Looks like it is working, love you all!

    ReplyDelete