Sunday, November 23, 2014

P.E.R.U.

Hand Stand!
I am fortunate to have had only one case of food sickness on this trip, and virtually no injuries! However, my streak of good luck ended abruptly two days ago during a game of tag with the children at the orphanage near Urubamba.. Instead of running away from all the little girls that were chasing me, I would allow them to come straight up to me, and then cleverly evade them by hopping backwards and sideways, always staying a finger-breadth away from being caught. However, this technique ended somewhat dismally when I landed sideways on  my right foot with the full weight of my massively heavy frame (sarcasm) to the
How did I fall? Cred: Cutcaster.com
sound of a crack as my foot folded inwards. Needless to say, I crumpled like a sack of potatoes. Unfortunately there was no x-ray facility in Urubamba, so I spent the rest of the day taking a taxi to Cusco, receiving an x-ray, receiving pain medication, and then having a dinner of sheep heart. Unfortunately, I likely tore the lateral ligaments on the outside of my ankle, which now becomes dislocated with the slightest pressure, so I'll be spending the remainder of this trip hobbling around on crutches. On another note, the dinner of sheep's heart was extremely tender and flavorful, and I highly recommend it. So, if you are ever in Cusco, don't hesitate to stop into the Condorito Restaurant! If
you are feeling a bit more adventurous you can try their other specialty of sheep intestines.
              After the past week in Urubamba, I am unsure whether my hands will ever return to their former color. After painting with oil-based paints the past week, my hands look like misshapen rainbows, with a couple paint splatters on top, as though Jackson Pollock were adding his finishing touch. At 8 every morning my group would take a public bus to an orphanage about an hour out of Urubamba, where we would paint their playground and basketball court till 1:30. Then, after the children returned from school, we would spend time with them until 4 or 5. Whether down in the Amazon Basin, up in the Andes in Guachinguero, or in an orphanage in Peru, it seems all children have a predisposition to being spun in circles, carried on shoulders, or chased. It has been great exercise, and I also could practice my Spanish on an audience that doesn't mind too many grammatical errors.
Before Urubamba, we spent a few days in the valley-town of Cusco. The flight into Cusco was incredible, and I only wish I had a window seat. The area surrounding Cusco is comprised of mountains and craggy earth, before opening up to a vast valley filled with ancient stone structures and rows of grey and red-tiled buildings. These structures fill almost every square foot of the valley floor, before creeping up the sides of the mountains. All the streets are made of cobble-stone, a few even made of small round stones. Some of the streets within Cusco look almost vertical, as the buildings seep up mini-gorges within the valley floor. Walking through Cusco you can't escape the countless stores selling all manner of alpaca wool garments, hand-formed clay mugs, vibrantly colored jewelry, and touristy trinkets. It is almost like the market in Otavalo, only all the items are situated in stores within a beautiful European-style setting.
Mystically beautiful cloud.
           After Cusco, we took a train up to Aguas Calientes, which served as our jumping point to visit Machu Picchu over the next 2 days. By some stroke of good fortune, we had perfect weather both days for viewing the ancient Incan ruins. We were even graced with the presence of wispy clouds wreathing the mountain above Machu Picchu, adding some mystical beauty to the scene. Looking at the vast scale of Machu Picchu and the unbelievable effort it must have taken to build exacting structures out of stones with such precision, it was difficult to fathom the culture and the area as it existed 600 years ago. The second day we also hiked up to Wayna Picchu, which allowed us peer down upon Machu Picchu from the top of a mountain peak (the mountain peak in the center of this picture, wrapped in a 'mystical' cloud). By another stroke of good luck, my water-logged camera recently decided to begin working again, so I was able to snap high-quality pictures to my heart's content (nothing against my iPad's camera; you have served me well).
  I have a couple days left of foggy-mindedness before I no longer need my pain-medication. However, my armpits are hurting more from my crutches now than my ankle does, which is a good thing, i think..?  Fortunately, Urubamba is filled with little motorized tuk-tuks which can take me anywhere in the city for approximately one dollar. I honestly think the tuk-tuk drivers are low-balling their service, and they could easily squeeze 2 or 3 more dollars out of me for every ride, but don't tell them I said that. Anyway, next week we transfer to Patabamba where we begin our "Clean-stove" project, where we will be constructing stoves and exhaust systems to foster a healthier environment for the people there. Till next time!

Cusco Calling
The old and the new (Incan stonework).

Cusco Cathedral
Aguas Calientes
Looks like a wonder of the world, eh?

More wonder.
Imagine if this were your bedroom..
An Incan ruin dropping into oblivion.
B.E.A.U.T.F.U.L.
Teamwork at its best.
Reminiscing 8th grade pottery class.
Taking it back 5 years to Vietnam!
The painting bond..
Ahh, the days when I could spin in circles.

3 comments:

  1. LOVING the Machu Picchu photos! Wow wow wow... Thanks for posting!

    So sorry you had the ankle sprain, but by now we hope you are able to touch down with some partial weight bearing. Easy does it so it heals well. I'm sure all the little kids were so happy to have you playing, chasing... which is always such fun! They were probably sad that you fell down! :(

    The service projects have been interesting to hear about. I know now that you are off in a remote area doing a clean stove building project. Will be eager to hear more about it.

    Sending love!
    ox Mol

    ReplyDelete